2017 UNB Summer Sword Tournament
2017 UNB Summer Sword Tournament
July 15th – 16th, 2017
Location: Alberta Alumni Recreation Gym, Richard J. Currie Center, UNB Fredericton
General Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intro to Sabre: This year, the Summer Sword will feature an introductory clinic for sabre led by NCCP Level 3 coach Jim Stevens. This clinic is for people who have at least completed a beginner program in any fencing weapon. All sabre-specific equipment will be provided for the use of the participants free of charge. The clinic begins at 9:00am and finishes at 3:00pm. There will be a break from 12:00pm until 1:00pm. Lunch will not be provided.
Div1/Div2: These are open events. These events will feature a preliminary round of pools. If the event has eight (8) or more participants, the event will be split into Div1 and Div2 categories, based on the results of the preliminary pool round. Each category will then undergo a second round of pools and a direct elimination table. If there are fewer than eight (8) participants, two rounds of pools will still be run.
University: In order to participate in a University event, the fencer must meet one of the following criteria:
- The fencer is a current full-time student at a recognized university or post-secondary institution.
- The fencer is a member of a university fencing club.
- The fencer has been accepted to a university or recognized post-secondary institutionand is registered to become a full-time student within six months of the tournament.
Free Equipment Use for Secondary Weapon: The UNB Fencing Club is prepared to offer free use of the equipment necessary to participate in the Div1/Div2 categories in an event not associated with their primary weapon. This is, however, subject to the following conditions:
1) The fencer is registered in at least one other event.
2) The fencer or his/her club does not have the necessary equipment for them to participate.
3) The fencer sends a separate email to the UNB Fencing Club before the close of registration detailing their jacket and mask size.
4) The fencer and/or his/her guardian agrees that if a blade breaks while in the fencer’s possession, the fencer/guardian will reimburse the UNB Fencing Club HALF of the replacement cost of said blade.
Provision of equipment is subject to availability and will be granted on a first-come first-served basis.
Entry Fees: 25$ per event. University Events: 15$ per event. Intro to Sabre: 20$ per person.
Payment can be made at check-in time by cash or cheque. Cheques should be made payable to the UNB Fencing Club
Registration Deadline: July 12th , 2017, at 10:00pm (Atlantic Time)
Registrations made after the registration deadline will be subject to a one-time 10$ administration fee. Please check your email before the tournament, as a tournament update will be provided following the close of registration.
Registration: To register, simply fill out the online registration form at the tournament website (https://sites.google.com/site/unbsummersword/) or send an email to email@example.com with the following registration details: Fencer Name, CFF Number, Year of Birth, Club, and Events. Please bring a completed copy of the tournament waiver to the event and submit it to the registrar at check-in.
Format: All events except Div1/Div2 will be run with a single round of pools followed by a direct elimination round. All pool bouts will be to five touches or three minutes. Elimination bouts will be to fifteen touches over a maximum of three, three minute rounds.
Membership: All participants in CFF sanctioned events must hold a valid CFF license as of July 9th, 2017 and a valid provincial membership (or an equivalent national membership if not Canadian).
CFF Ranking: Only events with six or more competitors can be submitted for CFF Ranking. If there are six or more competitors of each gender, CFF Ranked events will be run separately for each gender. Other events will be run as mixed- gender events.
Equipment: This competition will be run in accordance with current FIE regulations.
- A fencing sous-plastron is required.
- Female competitors must wear a breast protector.
- Fencing breaches or pants must cover at least below the knees and be constructed of sturdy material. No “tear-aways” or oven pockets.
- A fencing jacket that overlaps the pants or breeches, as well as a glove with a gauntlet that covers the base of the jacket sleeve is required.
- Knee-high socks must be worn with fencing breeches.
- “Non-marking”, indoor sneakers are required.
- Electric weapons, bodycords, electric jackets, masks, and manchettes are required depending on the weapon category. The armourer of the competition reserves the right to check bodycords, masks, manchettes, and electric jackets for conductivity and bar the use of equipment that does not meet current CFF/FIE conductivity requirements.
- Mask and bodycord checks must be completed prior to competing.
Canteen: There will not be a canteen at this event; however, there will be free pizza and popsicles available at 12:30pm each day.
Accommodations: As this tournament is held during the summer, University Residence Hotel Accommodations are available. Hotel-style accommodations can be booked at Saint Thomas University for 45$/night (single) or 60$/night (two singles). Details can be found here: http://w3.stu.ca/stu/sites/conference/reservations.html. Bookings can be done over the phone, by email, or through http://booking.com/. The UNB Fencing Club is also pleased to announce that a reduced Sport NB rate of 93$/night has been arranged for Summer Sword Competitors at the Fredericton Comfort Inn. Please call the hotel to book under the group “Fencing NB”.