To be accepted into the CFF HPP:
1. Complete the HPP Application Form, including fee payment online ($550).
2. Purchase an FIE licence online ($85), if not already ordered.
3. Send the following items to the HPP Coordinator by email:
- – A signed HPP Athletes Agreement (please initial each page and have signed by a witness) for 2016-17, if not already submitted.(This athlete agreement will only be available once Sport Canada has approved it).
- – One recent colour passport-size photos (head and shoulders only). These photos have to be sent every time you apply to the HP Program.
- – A photocopy of pages 2-3 from your government of Canada Passport. Please make sure that you have a valid passport for the entire season. Some countries require the passport be valid for 3 to 6 months after scheduled departure.
- – It is your responsibility to make sure you abide by the FIE and CCES anti-doping rules. Please read the Athlete’s Guide to Doping Control published by the CCES.
In regards of medication used to treat asthma, take note that the abbreviated Therapeutic Use Exemption Form (ATUE) no longer exists. Fencers who are in the FIE Registered Testing Pool (RTP) must apply to the FIE for a regular Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). Fencers who are not in the FIE RTP can choose either:
1. to apply for a TUE to the CCES or
2. to wait until they are tested and found to have a significant amount of beta-2 agonist in their urine and then immediately submit an application to the CCES for a retroactive TUE (which would be granted if the diagnosis is correct and the medical file is complete and up-to-date).
Therefore, each fencer who needs to use an inhaled bronchodilator (e.g. formoterol, salbutamol, salmeterol, terbutaline) to treat asthma must immediately prepare and keep up-to-date a medical file containing the following:
1. complete medical history
2. full report on the examination of the respiratory system
3. spirometry report with FEV1
4. repeat spirometry after beta-2 agonist inhalation
5. bronchial provocation test if 4. does not show reversible airway obstruction
6. the contact details of the doctor who examined him/her.
ALL PARTS OF THE APPLICATION THAT ARE TO BE EMAILED MUST BE SENT AT THE SAME TIME. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AND WILL BE RETURNED TO THE FENCER TO BE COMPLETED. Application materials must be sent electronically to the HPP Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for senior athletes to join the CFF high performance program is October 31, 2016.